Department / Unit:
The Pembroke Regional Hospital requires one (1) Payroll and Benefits Specialist. This position is offered on a Full-Time basis.
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Payroll and Benefits Specialist is responsible for analyzing, auditing and processing all tasks related to the production of the Hospital employee payroll and providing support to employees regarding the compensation and benefits plans.
Other Major Responsibilities will include:
- Key responsibilities in broker relationships, plan renewals, communications, documentation, compliance, solution of escalated issues and general benefits support.
- Administering the operation of the processing of the payroll and related activities, including but not limited to maintaining employee information, collection of payroll data, processing / balancing / verifying payroll in accordance to specifications and legislation
- Administering the process of the regular payroll including administration of various special payments, complex manual cheques, and regular monthly remittances, preparing remittance, including staff discrepancies and sub plan top ups
- Prepares benefit statements, letters and ROE’s for LOA’s including manage benefit payments and arrears
- Counsels retirement employees on pension and benefit options; assists with the completion of paperwork to initiate pension payment commencement; responds to individual specific questions regarding retirement
- Perform special projects at the direction of the Director
- A minimum of 3 years of Payroll and Benefits Administration experience in a unionized organization
- Significant formal education and training relevant to the execution of this role
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner certification through Canadian Payroll Association
- Knowledge and exposure to benefit plan administration and implementation
- Knowledge and exposure to the administration of all processes related to Pension Plans, experience with HOOPP would be an asset
- Ability to administer payroll according to hospital interpretation, Human Resources policies, collective agreements and legislation pertaining to payroll issues
- Strong communication skills to meet the needs of a variety of stakeholders; employees, union representatives and management
- Ability to provide guidance on contentious matters, resolving plan issues and discrepancies with the benefit carrier, vendor or broker
- Well organized, detail minded with a mathematical aptitude and the ability to handle a wide variety of tasks accurately and efficiently with minimal direction in a fast paced environment
- Proficient in various computer applications including Word, Excel, Power-point , Outlook, and payroll software
- Experience and knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), experience with QHR is an asset
- Must have demonstrated ability to meet the attendance standards of the Hospital
- Bilingualism (English/French) is preferred